RULES AND ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
All applicants must sign statements acknowledging that they have read, understand and will comply with all of the following eligibility requirements (“Eligibility”) of “Food Network Star” program (the “Program”) in order to proceed with the application process:
- Employees, officers, directors and agents of CBS News Productions, Inc. (“Producer”), Television Food Network, G.P. (“Food Network”), Scripps Networks, LLC, and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, parent corporations, and joint venture partners (collectively with Producer and Food Network, the “Released Parties”), all Program advertising, promotional and judging agencies, Program broadcasters and distributors and all other companies associated with the production, administration and/or exhibition of the Program and/or any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, divisions, and joint ventures as well as (a) the immediate family (spouse, ex-spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, step-parents, step-children, step-siblings, regardless of where they live), and (b) members of the same households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers, directors and agents, are not eligible to be “Food Network Star” or to participate in this application process. In addition, any applicant closely acquainted with any person connected with the production or administration or exhibition of the Program is not eligible if, in Food Network’s sole discretion, the person’s participation could create the appearance of impropriety.
- All applicants must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of application.
- Applicants may not presently be a candidate for any type of political office (“Candidate”) and may not become a Candidate from the time the application is submitted until one (1) year after first broadcast of the last episode of the Program in which they appear.
- Applicants will be ineligible if, at any time, they have been the host of a nationally televised food and/or food-related program.
- All applicants must be United States citizens or resident aliens living in the United States with a legal right to live and work in the United States.
- All applicants must be in excellent physical and mental health.
- Applicants will be ineligible if, as of September 12, 2011 they have any type of contract for talent representation (for example, a talent agent or manager), an acting contract, a television hosting contract, a merchandising agreement, or any other contractual arrangement that would prohibit applicant from entering into a talent contract, management contract and/or merchandising contract with Food Network. If you are selected as a Semi-Finalist, you will be required to provide evidence in a form that is satisfactory to Food Network in its sole discretion that any such agreements or contracts will not prohibit or limit in any way a Semi-Finalist’s obligations to Food Network, as set forth herein, and in accordance with such other directives of Food Network.
8. Applicants may apply in one of three ways:
- UPLOAD A VIDEO & E-MAIL COMPLETE APPLICATION (release and waiver signed by you)- Upload a 3-minute video on http://www.foodnetwork.com. You must submit a full application via e-mail as a pdf to email@example.com and check all the correct boxes on-line to be considered.
- MAIL IN YOUR VIDEO & COMPLETE APPLICATION (release and waiver signed by you)- Send a 3-minute DVD/mini DV tape (Please DO NOT send 8MM, VHS, CD ROM FORMAT) and application to the following address:
CBS/Food Network Star
Care of JS Casting Inc.
469 7th Ave. Ste. 210
NY, NY 10018
- ATTEND AN OPEN CALL & BRING YOUR COMPLETE APPLICATION (release and waiver signed by you). Open call locations and dates listed on www.foodnetworkstarcasting.com
9. Applications must include: (2) photographs of yourself, each clearly labeled with your name. Depending on how you apply they can be mailed, brought to open call, or e-mailed (with your application).
10. Applicants may submit videos with the following restrictions:
- Quality: tapes must not be professionally made or submitted by or through a television producer or other media industry professional; we want to see you how you really are
- Content: Explain why you should have your own Food Network show, talk about who you are, and demonstrate how you cook. All tapes should begin with the applicant stating their full name. Be yourself and show us a taste of your personality. Be creative!
- No music: Please do not include any music in your audition tape.
- Clothing: Please do not wear any clothing or show any items or tattoos that reveal any logos or brand names or the names or images of any person other than yourself
- Label: Please label your tape with your name and telephone number clearly printed.
11. Applications MUST be written clearly or typed.
12. All applications must be received no earlier than July 1 2011 and no later than October 17, 2011. Filming for Season 8 is scheduled for Winter 2012 (or as otherwise schedule by Producers) so it’s important to send your videos as soon as possible to be considered.
13. From among all the completed applications Food Network receives, staff and consultants of Food Network and the Producers will evaluate each application on a number of subjective factors, all of which have the aim of determining which applicants have what it takes to be a Food Network on-air personality. We will be looking at personality, style, presence, ability to talk about food, ability to cook, knowledge of food and cooking, and overall performance among other related factors. Applicants must be willing, if requested by Food Network, to (1) submit five original recipes to Food Network for evaluation; (2) participate in one or more telephone interviews with Food Network or the Producers; (3) provide additional videotape of themselves or other materials as may be requested by Food Network or the Producers
14. Only one (1) application per person will be accepted. Applicants who submit more than one (1) application will be disqualified.
15. All applications (including all materials submitted in connection with each application or submitted as supplemental materials requested by Food Network) will not be returned and will become the property of Food Network, which shall have the sole and exclusive right to use the applications in any manner throughout the universe in perpetuity, as set forth in greater detail in the Release.
16. If you are chosen as a Semi-Finalist (the number of which will be determined by producers) to be considered for Food Network Star you will be invited to NYC for Final Interviews. If invited as a Semi-Finalist you must be able travel for the required Final interview at a date scheduled by producers in October or November 2011 Roundtrip and economy air between NYC and your local airport in the United States and lodging will be provided by Producers. Please note: You will be asked to provide up to 30 ORIGINAL recipes on very short notice. Please begin assembling recipes now.
17. If you are chosen as a Semi-Finalist you must furnish One (1) legible photocopy of EITHER (1) your passport; OR (2) driver’s license; OR (3) social security card AND birth certificate.
18. By applying for participation in the Program, you authorize Food Network to conduct civil, family court, criminal, financial, driver history and any other type of background check deemed necessary by Food Network. Food Network reserves the right to disqualify any applicant from further consideration based on the results of such background check in Food Network’s sole discretion.
19. All applicants acknowledge and agree that if they are selected as one of approximately 10-12 Finalists (the final number which will be determined by the producers) and travel to a location to be (determined by the producers) to appear in the Program, they will be required to enter into a release and agreement with Food Network prior to traveling to New York as a Semi-Finalist that will (i) render applicant exclusive to Food Network for a pre-determined period of time (meaning that applicant would not, among other limitations, be able to appear on any other broadcast or cable television programming or make public appearances or publish a cookbook without Food Network’s express written permission in each circumstance); (ii) give Food Network the option, at Food Network’s sole election, to exercise the right to have applicant appear as a host, co-host, or contributor to Food Network programming or use applicant’s name, image, and/or likeness in Food Network programming or in merchandising or in other ancillary media (including a cookbook), at a rate of compensation and in accordance with such terms and conditions that shall be determined by Food Network in its sole discretion; and (iii) limit the ability of applicant’s ability to enter into commercial endorsements. The Finalist who is selected as the winner (“Food Network Star”) will receive a contract to render services as the host, co-host, or contributor to a Food Network program, the selection of which shall be at the sole discretion of Food Network, on terms and conditions to be determined by Food Network in its sole discretion.
20. If you are selected as a Finalist to participate in Food Network Star (i) you will be required to film for up to 7 weeks in Winter 2012 (or as otherwise scheduled by Producers) (ii) participate in the selected dates for a media tour in connection with the Program’s premiere and promotion of the Program. (iii) Food Network will furnish Finalists with economy class air transportation, housing (with other cast members for the duration of the shoot), meals and a per diem while on the show. Applicants who will not be available for all of those dates will be disqualified.
21. When the Finalists travel to location for the show, they will participate in daily exercises to test their performance, personality, level of skill, knowledge of food and cooking and their general ability to be a Food Network television chef and/or host. These daily exercises will entail long days (e.g., 10 to 12 hours) in the kitchen, in front of television cameras, receiving media training, conducting press appearances, cooking demonstrations, hosting on locations, etc. These daily exercises will be taped and used in connection with the Program. At all times when the Finalists are in New York, the Finalists will be subject to the instructions, directives, and schedules dictated by Food Network; non-compliance with such instructions, directives, and schedules will result in disqualification.
22. Each applicant acknowledges, understands and agrees that he or she, if chosen as Food Network Star and/or as one of the Finalists may be audio and/or video taped twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week while participating in the Program by means of open and hidden cameras, whether or not he or she is then aware that he or she is being videotaped or recorded (collectively, “Recordings”) and that such Recordings may be disseminated on television and/or all media now known or hereafter devised, in any and all manner throughout the Universe in perpetuity.
23. All applicants understand and acknowledge that participation in the Program, including, without limitation, the activities and events arranged by the Program coordinator (including, but not limited to, use of stoves, ovens, knives and other kitchen equipment) may expose applicant and other participants to the risk of death, serious injury, illness or disease and/or property damage. Applicants must be willing and able to participate in physical activities related to working and performing in a kitchen (including using stoves, ovens, knives and other kitchen equipment), on location, on television sets, and the like. Applicants must sign a release attesting to the fact that the applicant understands and knowingly and willingly agrees to assume such risks. Applicants understand that by submitting this participant application (the “Participant Application”), applicants acknowledge that they accept and assume all risks known or unknown of any nature (including, without limitation, the foregoing) that may arise in any way from or relate to applicant’s participation in the selection process for and/or participation in the Program.
24. Each applicant acknowledges, understands and agrees that Food Network may disclose any information contained within or derived from his or her application to third persons connected with the Program and to compile information from third parties in connection with such application and the application process about applicant’s private, personal and public life, relationships with third persons, confidences and secrets with family, friends, significant others, including without limitation: physical appearance; personal characteristics/habits (both physical and mental); medical treatment/history (both physical and mental); educational and employment history; military history; criminal investigations, charges and records; personal views and opinions about life, food, cooking, television, the media, and the like (collectively, “Personal Information”). Applicant acknowledges and agrees that Food Network may reveal such Personal Information to third parties in the course of the application process and/or the Program and that Applicant releases, discharges, and holds harmless the Released Parties (as defined above) from any and all claims and damages arising from such compilation or disclosure of Personal Information.
25. Applicants acknowledge, understand, and agree that the Released Parties’ use or revelation of Personal Information and Recordings as defined in these Eligibility Requirements may be embarrassing, unfavorable, humiliating, and/or derogatory and/or may portray him or her in a false light. Each applicant agrees to release, discharge and hold harmless the Released Parties from any and all claims (including, without limitation, claims for slander, libel, defamation, violation of rights of privacy, publicity, personality, and/or civil rights, depiction in a false light, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, copyright infringement, and/or any other tort and/or damages arising from or in any way relating to the submission of a Participant Application, participation in the selection process, participation in the Program, the use of the Personal Information or Recordings and/or the use of the applicant’s name, voice, and/or likeness in connection with the Program, or the promotion thereof in all media now known or hereafter devised. Applicants are required to sign Releases to this effect.
26. Each applicant acknowledges and agrees that he or she is not and will under no circumstances as a result of the submission of a Participant Application, participation in the selection process, participation in the Program, the use of the Personal Information or Recordings and/or the use of the applicant’s name, voice, and/or likeness in connection with the Program, the promotion thereof in all media now known or hereafter devised or for any other reason in connection with his or her application and/or participation in the Program become an employee or an independent contractor of the Producer and/or Released Parties and will not make any claims against Producer and/or Released Parties, including, without limitation, claims for compensation, derived from any allegation of status as an employee. Each applicant acknowledges and agrees that his or her relationship to Producer and/or Released Parties is and shall be limited solely to that of a grantor of rights.
27. Any applicant who has appeared on or is involved with any television program or other media must disclose such information in his or her application and may, at Producer’s sole discretion, be deemed ineligible to participate in the Program. If any applicant is currently being considered as a contestant and/or participant in a television show, he/she must withdraw his/her application from such show upon Producer’s request.
28. All applicants who are selected as Finalists must complete and timely return the “Finalist Package,” which may include, among other documents: a General Release and Indemnity Agreement; Confidentiality Agreement; and General Exclusivity Agreement (all forms will be furnished to the Finalists). By signing these documents, each Finalist will agree to assume the risk of any and all injury, illness, damage, loss, or harm to Finalist’s person or property of any kind, howsoever caused, arising from or relating to the submission of a Participant Application, the selection of Finalist, and/or Finalists’ participation in the Program, and/or the production and/or exploitation of the Program. We reserve the right to ask any additional needed questions and require that you submit specified original recipes to be used for the programs and by the network.
29. All applicants who are selected as Finalists will be required to meet all physical and psychological requirements, as determined by Food Network.
30. Semi-Finalists and Finalists shall treat all information and materials received or acquired about Producer, Released Parties, the selection process and/or the Program, as strictly confidential and shall not disclose or otherwise disseminate any such information to any third party. Finalists must sign a Confidentiality Agreement in the form presented by Producer.
31. Upon Producer’s request, all Semi-Finalists, Finalists, and the winner of Food Network Star must agree to sign any additional releases or authorizations that Producer, in its sole discretion, deems necessary.
32. The winner of Food Network Star and Food Network Star Finalists must report and be available to participate in the Program at all times and places as Producer shall designate.
33. All decisions related to the selection of the Semi-Finalists, Finalists, Food Network Star, the application evaluation, and eligibility requirements, shall be subject to change at Food Network’s sole discretion. Food Network reserves the right to disqualify an applicant at any time, to modify these requirements or any aspect of the Program as it deems necessary, and to cancel the production and development of the Program or any programming contemplated hereunder.